Economic Development Strategy
The overall goal of this Economic Development Strategy is to create a sustainable 21st century economy for Angels Camp.
1. Build the Local Economy on Angels Camp’s Strengths and Uniqueness
Angels Camp residents and businesses strongly identify with the image of Angels Camp as a small historic Gold Rush town in the Sierra Foothills and with the many facets this image encompasses. Through this initiative, the City will work to enhance the City as a place that people love, and use this fundamental asset as the basis for business retention, expansion and attraction.
2. Cultivate Social and Educational Capital
Generating a positive effect on the people of Angels Camp is the most important benefit that economic development can deliver. Through this initiative, the City will work to ensure that local residents are positioned to benefit from the economic development efforts, and to ensure that they are also the driving force in the success of this strategy.
3. Utilize Tourism Infrastructure Year Round for Locals and Tourists Alike
Tourism is a base-level sector in Angels Camp’s economy. The city will expand the local economy without the need for additional growth beyond the existing General Plan build-out by promoting year-round tourism to maximize the productivity of existing commercial buildings and land, and the existing labor force. Activities under this initiative will also benefit local residents by improving the range of local cultural and entertainment activities, increasing transportation options and enhancing amenities that will promote a high quality of life.
- Destination Angels Camp recognizes the difficulties and challenges of implementing a major economic development program and achieving demonstrable results towards its goal in a very serious local and national economic recession that is just beginning to turn around. Because DAC is a new organization as of March 2012 with a very small budget and run by volunteers, it faces even greater challenges. It is however determined to achieve results for Angels Camp.
- It is anticipated that the pace of work will be slow at first as DAC begins its operations, but will accelerate as funding becomes available and allows for at least part-time paid administrative staff.
- The DAC board and other participants in this economic development strategy process believe it is critical that the strategy define measurable outcomes that can be used to monitor progress in implementing this economic development strategy and the first two specific action plans. Included with the strategies and action steps are key indicators that the City and DAC can use to measure progress, using readily available information or information that can be collected as the City or DAC implements various programs or projects use this information to develop an annual economic development status report for the Council and the public.
- In addition, DAC will prepare an annual action plan that sets out specific objectives and budget for economic development, destination development and its own operations.
- Further specifics will be presented to City Council during its 2012-2013 budget process, and at regular presentations to Council and the public.
DAC’s overall strategy, objectives and action plans share many themes and values with the work embodied in the Sierra Business Council’s publication titled Investing for Prosperity: Building Successful Communities and Economies in the Sierra Nevada. The case studies presented in that document, which provide examples of successful programs similar to many who are recommended in this strategy, may provide valuable ideas and guidance to those who work to implement this strategy.